flat screens

alan in spain 19:15 18 Apr 2005

ivw just bought a samsung 910v lcd monitor

but when i use it with my system ( athlon 2,100, radeon 9250 and 512 of ram) to play a dvd the images seem to lag.

is this normal that the lcd cant keep up ? have i wasted my money as i watch a lot of dvds.

have i fallen for the admen speak thinking i would improve my setup

the text is good and photos are good but it just doesnt seem to cope well with moving video.

any help or advice greatly received as i have 14 days to exchange.

by the way its sunny here again !!!! lololo

rubella 19:26 18 Apr 2005

sounds more like a codec problem

Technotiger 19:28 18 Apr 2005

I am pretty sure it should not 'lag'. Many of us are using tft's but I have not heard of lagging before.

It's very sunny here too in Southsea.

Technotiger 19:29 18 Apr 2005

ps - perhaps you should update your graphics card.

Pooke100 19:32 18 Apr 2005

Where the DVDs playing fine before the change to a TFT? Everythings the same you haven't installed or changed any software?

If the answer is yes to the above questions then change back to a CRT or get a better TFT.

Gamers and the like are said to prefer CRTs but it's debatable. TFTs have come along way recently.

alan in spain 19:33 18 Apr 2005

that graphics card I just bought it !!!!

its a 256meg card wich i thought would be good enough

sunny in southsea ?? you sure you havent got a mural over the windows LOL

Technotiger 19:43 18 Apr 2005

Your card certainly should be ok, if only recently fitted though I would suggest refitting it to make absolutely sure of a good fit, graphics cards, as you probably are aware, can be very fussy about how they are seated.

It is always sunny in Southsea. Temperature in my pent-house suite is 24C.

Cheers.

alan in spain 20:52 18 Apr 2005

have found a web link which details my problem so any of you that are interested may want to go have a look too its at click here

thanx guys i will let you know how i get on.

g0nvs 20:58 18 Apr 2005

A response time of 25ms I think is a bit slow for watching DVDs.

DieSse 21:01 18 Apr 2005

This monitor has a response time of 25msec. This is quite slow by the standards of the latest screens. It's probably enough to cause a lag/blurring effect of fastish moving images.

Many current TFT monitors have a response time of 16ms or less - even down to below 10ms.

rubella 21:59 18 Apr 2005

Given that you have the opportunity to exchange it, it sounds like the best idea. I personally use a 12ms response time screen, but that is for gaming.

Still, given your problem is with DVD not gaming I’m quite surprised the 25ms response time is significant enough to be a problem. There’s a review of a Samsung with a 25ms time in last months PC stats. True, it is a very different model but I would have expected the below to generalize.

“Users who spend a lot of time gaming, and are hyper-sensitive how things look at 400FPS, will undoubtedly be best served by sticking with a CRT monitor. For those of you who aren't as anal about an LCD display with 25ms pixel refresh times, I think you'll find the 173P's other screen qualities lend themselves to a nice vibrant picture. Office work is a given, and I think Samsung 173P will keep any user more than happy for quite some time as they fiddle around on their PC, or even sit back and watch a DVD.”

click here

Perhaps you are right on a line.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?