Flat Screen problems

Terry Brown 16:07 04 Aug 2006

Hi, A friend has purchased a Flat Screen for his computer fitted with MSI KT4 motherboard. Conneted the cable and the computer started booting up, then went blank. He has now re-fitted his old screen, but the problems remain.
It does the POST, and then starts to load windows before blanking out. If a music CD is put in the drive it will play, indicating a display problem; the problem being he cannot access the XP Home CD to repair the problem because ,he cannot see the screen to set it up.

Is there a way to access safe menu (bypassing the graphic drivers) for this motherboard, as he is rather green, about what to do if it does not start normally.
Terry

Diodorus Siculus 16:12 04 Aug 2006

Boot pc and press F5 for the menu; choose either safe mode or VGA mode and see if that works

xania 16:29 04 Aug 2006

It may just be that, in disconnecting the monitor from the graphics card, the latter became loose. Check that the graphics card is still firmly in its socket. And, I think Safe Mode can be accessed by pressing F8, not F5.

Diodorus Siculus 16:53 04 Aug 2006

F5 goes into safe mode; F8 gives the menu.

Terry Brown 07:51 05 Aug 2006

Thank you, I will tell him & hopefully we will be able to resolve the problem. I will be seeing him on Monday. Hoping all goes well.
Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?