Flat screen monitor spec.

guesswho2 09:54 20 Jan 2009

I'm thinking about replacing my Viewsonic CRT with a widescreen flat panel. Most 19 inch screens now seem to be 16:9 aspect ratio with a resolution of 1280 x 1024. However, I note some give a resolution of 1440 x 900 for a 19inch and 1680 x 1050 for a particular 20inch at 16:10.
On my present CRT I've discovered that the maximum resolution available is 1280 x 1024 so does this mean that I'll have to buy a flat screen with this particular resolution, otherwise I'll get a distorted picture?

ambra4 11:35 20 Jan 2009

“On my present CRT I've discovered that the maximum resolution available is 1280 x 1024 so does this mean that I'll have to buy a flat screen with this particular resolution, otherwise I'll get a distorted picture?”

NO

On a 20”CRT screen you can set the screen resolution from 800X600 to 1280 x 1024 and the

display picture would just get bigger or smaller the same would apply if you buy a normal

19/20” square flat panel display

On a widescreen flat screen the recommend screen resolution must be used for the display

picture to look correct if the recommend is 1440X900 screen resolution an you use a 1280 x

1024 screen resolution the display would be stretch to fill the screen and you will get a distorted

picture

LCD V CRT

click here

Analog and Digital CRT and LCD/TFT PC Monitors

click here

guesswho2 12:28 20 Jan 2009

Many thanks ambra4 for that very helpful reply. The websites you've given are really very useful for an old prat like me who's trying to catch up with modern technology! The reason I've taken so long to reply is that I've browsing them.
I was afraid that it wouldn't be straightforward! It seems that I may have to update my RADEON 9550 driver. Not your problem, but I've already had 2 goes at trying to update with no success.
Anyhow, thanks again for the very useful info.

ambra4 21:25 20 Jan 2009

guesswho2

It always my pleasure to help if I can; make your choice of a flat panel screen wisely as prices

can range from £74 to £1,500

Samples of TFT / LCD Monitors from 15” to 30”

click here

A Response Time of 5ms or lower with both a VGA and DVI input socket would be the one that

will give you a greater choice if you want to update your computer or display card at a later date

Personal the monitors that have build in speakers are so small that the sound is very thinly and

tends to be distorted.

It always best to get a good set of 2.1 speakers if you listen to music while using the computer

Enjoy

guesswho2 09:08 21 Jan 2009

Thanks again ambra4. It's good of you to reply. I promise to make a decision slowly!
I'll mark this resolved now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone