Flat screen monitor problem

Errie 14:59 20 Nov 2006

Monitor is a Samsung SynchMaster193v.
Graphics card is ATI Radeon 9550.
Computer Packard Bell iExtreme 3.20GHZ
XP Media Centre Edition. Memory 1GB
Problem is bold flashing Vertical stripes right across the screen. Each flash conjures up a new barcode like flash of coloured stripes. The screen then freezes. Not the computer just the screen. The image then is black and white and shows the last page I was on but reduced to a 2 inch horizontal strip. This strip is repeated 5 times top to bottom of screen. Monitor was only 8 months old so it was replaced with new one. Same spec. New monitor does the same and it is literally always one hour after starting the computer from cold. Whether I am gaming or typing a letter or just on the net, it makes no exception. I tried an old Compaq V55 monitor and all works fine. Even gaming. I have checked refresh rate, resolution, etc and nothing makes any difference. When I load Serious Sam(FPS Game) it tells me my Video card has been changed and to accept the automatic configuration mode. I do, the game plays OK for one hour and then The flashing starts. I have restored my PC to factory condition and according to every test I have done everything is working OK and everthing is enabled.
I have bought a new monitor cable and have put the monitor on a seperate socket, with and without a surge protector. I have removed Mobile and speakers from the room in case of magnetic interference and the inside of my PC is clean. Fans are working. I have pressed the test button on the monitor and it says GOOD. I have also reset it to auto. This old monitor I am using goes on hour after hour with no problem and I have spent hours researching Bold Vertical Lines.
I tell you I am at my wits end with it. I would be so grateful for any help with this. Phew! and thanks in anticipation.

rodriguez 15:51 20 Nov 2006

How old is the faulty monitor? It sounds like it's new, so I'd suggest taking it back for a refund instead of swapping it for one the same. If this is the 2nd Samsung SynchMaster193v monitor you've had that's had this fault, there could be a problem with that range of monitors. It's best to try a completely different make and model with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?