flat panel monitor with Win98SE

cosh 19:17 13 Dec 2008

I have been given a flat panel monitor, a Samsung SyncMaster 152v, with no driver cd or manual, When I connect it to my Windows 98SE machine the boot up proceeds normally –memory count –DOS type info - up the point where the there is a full screen of the Windows logo after which the screen goes black and stays so. I can hear the PC still carrying on but there is no display.
The PC runs OK with a CRT monitor.
I have connected the monitor to my machine running XP and there is no problem with that.
The display adapter card in my Win 98 machine is an ATI Rage Xpert 128.
I have set the display settings to 1024 x 768 and 75Hz as per the XP PC and have tried various other setting –but to no avail.
It seems as though when the PC starts the final loading of Win98 the monitor signals go wrong.
I would welcome any useful suggestions please.

DieSse 19:40 13 Dec 2008

Try setting it to 60Hz - that's normal for LCD monitors (though it should work at 75Hz according to the spec - but it's not necessary).

Your monitor doesn't need a driver - monitors don't actually have drivers anyway, in the proper sense of the word - they have .inf files that contain the parameters the monitor operates with, and sometimes some colour profiles.

So you shouldn't need anything except to get the resolution and refresh correct.

Try starting the system in safe mode - this should work - if it does, try replacing the driver for your ATI card.

csqwared 19:42 13 Dec 2008

If you do need a driver (for Win98) or the manual try here-:
click here

cosh 20:08 13 Dec 2008

THanks DieSse and csqwared for your prompt replies. I'm going out now but will try your suggestions tomorrow and let you know

woodchip 20:58 13 Dec 2008

As above you need to reset resolution and refresh rate. You can do this in safe mode

cosh 12:34 14 Dec 2008

Many thanks for your responses. I started in safe mode successfully (600x800 256 colours and adapter default refresh I think). I then tried several other settings and they all worked ,including 1024x768 75 Hz and 32bit full colour-the settings I initially had tried.
It appears that just starting once in safe mode was enough to trigger it to work but why is a mystery.

woodchip 20:09 14 Dec 2008

The drivers for the Graphics card are not used in Safe Mode it uses generic VGA drivers, this allows you to change the Graphics card ones

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?