Flashing XP Toolbar & Icons

Input Overload 19:00 20 Jan 2009

The other day after removing my newish laptop from its bag & booting I noticed the taskbar & icons flash on & off approx every 5 seconds.

Trawling through the net it seems most similar problems were due to Trojans etc. I have ‘Eset Security Suite’ on, ‘Super-Antispyware’, & ‘BO Clean’ on & all have found nothing.

I even did an online ‘Norton’ scan. Originally I had ‘Ashampoo Anti-Spyware on which found nothing so I removed it & that’s when I put ‘Super Anti-Spyware’ on.

The Pc has only really been used looking on the BBC news sites & using Word etc. I did a repair to no avail. I can see the words 'Re-Install' marching in my direction. Sometimes it will load fully as all the icons in the tray don’t get chance to appear until they are whisked away.

One thing I have noticed is that with task manager running its ‘Explorer.exe’ that disappears from sight along with icons & taskbar so it seems something is crashing ‘Explorer' on start-up. If the laptop gets to the point where the wireless connection icon appears all (rare) runs all is well, I have reset all wireless settings with no change although most of the time I can get on the net albeit with the icons & taskbar disappearing every few seconds. The last program I installed was 'TheSage' dictionary but I have that on my Desk PC and 3 other similar DELL laptops.

I have removed all start-up programs one by one with no result. The laptop had been running perfectly until the other day. Any ideas? BTW I’m running XP with all updates/SP3 on.

Input Overload 21:37 29 Jan 2009

After spending many hours trying just about everything I read on the web I reinstalled & I must commend DELL on for the excellent driver base & ease of use. Its fine now & I have two images that I know are Ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?