Flashing motherboard

bezzer20 16:56 22 May 2007

Hiya guys iv heard contrasting reports from different sources about flashing my asus mobo. The obvious reason for this is to unlock settings in the bios so i can OC it. As its a hp (a1620.uk)some of bios setings are obviously unavailable. Is it possible for me to flash it? Hp tells me its not!? but obviously there protecting their own interests? can somebody tell me if its possible please. Its a asus p5LP-LE. Ps i understand all therisks etc for flashing aswell as OC'ing so no need to mention it lol

Press Man 17:06 22 May 2007

Have a look here, may help?

click here

bezzer20 17:13 22 May 2007

The problem is that i cant OC! surely if i were to uopdate the bios with hp's recommendation the bios will still be blocked?

bezzer20 16:09 23 May 2007

could any1 help me out here?? please!!

€dstowe 16:14 23 May 2007

Overclocking nowadays produces very little result and a great risk to your machine.

In older, slower systems, overclocking could result in a noticeable increase in performance and a 1% increase in a 100MHz processor would make it seemingly zoom along but now, with everything so fast, who's going to notice a, say 1% increase in the speed of a 3GHz processor?

Unless you have lots of money to waste, don't do it.

MAJ 16:15 23 May 2007

Only if the BIOS flash specifically states that those functions will be available after the flash. The motherboard manufacturer's website is the place to check for a BIOS flash and what it will do.

Totally-braindead 16:20 23 May 2007

The normal reason to upgrade the BIOS is to provide support for newer processors, not for overclocking. I must admit I don't know if flashing the BIOS would open any of the options, personally I doubt it and apart from it invalidating the warranty overclocking is risky.

Personally I think the performance gain isn't worth the risk as I can't buy a new PC if it goes wrong but of course its entirely up to you.

I think some of the BIOS settings are probably unavailable because the computer can see the hardware installed and therefore realises certain settings won't work, could be wrong but thats what I think. And again personally if HP have told you that you can't flash the BIOS I presume its because you already have the most up to date BIOS.

bezzer20 00:20 24 May 2007

yeh i believe i do have the most up to date bios. Its just I thought that perhaps asus could have the original bios on their website (without the blocked OC options etc.)To be honest it was only a thought its just i have a 2.8ghz pD processor and i wouldnt mind reaching the 3ghz plus category! its probably not a risk worth taking anyway in relation to the improvement i would get

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?