flashing hard drive

sunnystaines 12:59 01 Sep 2009

put a spare ide hard drive in an external usb caddy.

it shows up in windows explorer as drive k but only for a second or two then keeps appearing and disappearing in windows explorer before i can access it to reformat

does the same in my computer.

does not appear in disk management.

any ideas please.

scotty 13:02 01 Sep 2009

What size of drive is it and where does it get its power (USB or separate supply)?

sonyboy 13:26 01 Sep 2009

I've seen this a few times with external HD connections ..The appearing/vanishing issue was caused in most cases by an intermittent power supply caused by a poor connection in either the USB connector or also a faulty pin connection in the transformer power supply to an external drive.
If you haven't done it already..a check on the stability of the connections is the best first step! Let us know how it goes....

sunnystaines 13:38 01 Sep 2009

the external drive [coolmaster X craft] rebooted and crashed the pc which would get as far as the moterboard logo only, tried del to enter bios but nothing happening nor on reboots or cold power down and restart.

disconnecting external hdd still no joy in boot up.
turned poower off at plug and managed to get into bios this time the options in bios to select boot order had disappeared, had to save optimised settings and reboot to get pc working again

about to take it back to PCW

Any idea why it corrupted the BIOS? anr crashed pc

woodchip 13:59 01 Sep 2009

check the cable plugs to the drive, jumper can only work when set to master

sunnystaines 16:15 01 Sep 2009

its now back with PCW and refund given. the drive was set to master.

a bit iffy about trying another caddy after this saga.

sunnystaines 21:06 01 Sep 2009

it was usb with its own power supply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?