flashing colours

Charlie 3746 14:23 20 May 2007

Every now and then my computer screen starts flashing multitudes of colours - sometimes squares, sometimes vertical lines. When this happens the only way I can turn the computer off is to hold the power switch in for several seconds - the re-set button has no effect. Can anyone offer a bit of advice please?

Technotiger 15:04 20 May 2007

Hi, I don't profess to know what the cause is, but running CCleaner might fix it - click here

mole44 15:14 20 May 2007

is your graphics card seated properly,switch your pc earth yourself,unplug your pc from the mains and then unplug and replug your card back in.

Fingees 15:15 20 May 2007

Have you tried holding the reset for several seconds?

It may be worthwhile disconnecting your monitor at both ends, and reconnecting, just in case its the cable connections.

The other thing to check then, is to reseat the video card, in case its slight corrosion at the contacts.

That's the only thing I can suggest

wolfie3000 15:19 20 May 2007

also updating your GFX cards driver would maybe help.

Charlie 3746 17:33 20 May 2007

Thanks for the replies.
Daft question no doubt but what's a graphic card and perhaps more to the point where is it? Do you think I should book my pc in for repair?

Technotiger 18:39 20 May 2007

Hmm, as you obviously are not familiar with the inside of a computer case, you should probably leave it to the experts by taking it to your local friendly PC repair shop. Not a cheap business though, most shops charge about £25-£35 an hour just for the privilege of looking at the PC.

Technotiger 18:41 20 May 2007

PS - I meant to add that there is no such thing as a daft question, quite simply if you don't know, ask! That is what we are here for.

rdave13 18:55 20 May 2007

A video card looks something like this. You can just about read "saphire" and "radeon" where it is and the fan (because this one has one). click here

Fingees 18:59 20 May 2007

It's the card your monitor is plugged into, unless is is built into the motherboard itself.

Charlie 3746 19:59 20 May 2007

Thanks for all your help - I'll bite the bullet and take it back to Evesham Micos. Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?