Flashing Bios -Advice Please

holly polly 16:48 06 Sep 2003

Hi i am in the process of upgrading my bios -hdd just about dead decided to purchase a maxtor 80 gig ,but for the all the drive to be recognised ,this requires the ver7 upgrade this is easily done through windows ,because it is a gigabyte mobo -my question is should anything go wrong how do i reinstall the original bios i have saved the original bios in my documents ,does it need putting on a floppy ?,i am very cautious and need to know how to put things right should they go wrong ,as usual all answers greatfully recieved -hol pol...

hugh-265156 17:02 06 Sep 2003

see "4" and "IV" click here

holly polly 17:11 06 Sep 2003

ok huggyg71 yes i've read this tutorial countless times tell me have u updated your bios before and if so have u encounted any problems-cheers -hol pol..

hugh-265156 17:24 06 Sep 2003

i have never had any problems.i have a gigabyte GA-8siml board but have never used @bios as my computer is a packard bell.any bios updates i have done manually via a floppy containing the bios update and a flasher.

as your going to use @bios then i think you will be pretty safe.

holly polly 17:29 06 Sep 2003

ok huggy71 thanks for the reassureance everything just as i thought, going to get on with the flash now will let u know how i get on-hol pol...

Djohn 17:34 06 Sep 2003

As huggyg71 says. I have not yet plucked up the courage to do it myself, but last weekend a tech. friend of mine came round and Flashed my BIOS for me.

He downloaded the up-date to desktop as a Zip file, then opened/saved to floppy rebooted and flashed from the floppy. All went well, hope this is of help to you rather than confusing you. Good luck, see you back soon. :o)

holly polly 18:02 06 Sep 2003

hi just flashed the bios everything went ok -now have version f7 installed ,piece of cake through windows and over internet ,just waiting for delivery of new hdd ,and we'll be cooking on gas -thanks for the help huggy71 and djohn ,thought i'd be allright but its nice to get the reassurance ,see ya -hol pol...

seedie 18:06 06 Sep 2003

Wanna come and do mine for me?

Djohn 18:09 06 Sep 2003

well done! Takes a lot of courage to do it yourself for the first time. Pleased it worked out well for you. :o)

spuds 18:11 06 Sep 2003

I have a similar task to do.Either flash or exe, but I am very nervious as to the damage that I may cause.Just spent two weeks, with a downed machine, couldn't fancy going through that again.But this posting as restored a little confidence(;0( + (;o)

hugh-265156 18:12 06 Sep 2003

glad it all went ok for you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone