FLASH MEMORY & WIN98SE

Bonzy 14:16 14 Feb 2005

Hello friends, There's this pc running Win98SE with USB ports. I tried to copy a file from it and save on a flash Memory drive. I plugged the drive into a USB port on the pc and some messages came up asking for this software and that. I removed it and plugged it in again but this time it wasnt'recognised at all. What's up? Is this type of drive not supported by Win98SE? Some help here please.

FelixTCat 14:35 14 Feb 2005

Flash drives are supported directly by Win XP. For Win98 you have to load drivers, small programs that work between Win98 and the USB device so that they can talk to one another. A disk of drivers should have come with the flash drive.

Curio 14:36 14 Feb 2005

from the manufacturer for Win98SE to recognise a USB memory stick. XP recognises them automatically

Fellsider 14:37 14 Feb 2005

I have a Toshiba pen drive and it doesn't work with 98SE (i.e. there are no drivers).

Fortunately it's my other PC that is 98SE

scooby43 15:06 14 Feb 2005

whats the make of the usb pen

Totally-braindead 15:08 14 Feb 2005

Agree with others you need a driver, if you don't have one only thing I can suggest is try the flashdrives manufacturers website for them presuming you know who makes it or try some flashdrive drivers from other makes and see if that works.

GRFT 08:02 15 Feb 2005

Try this one click here

Bonzy 09:17 15 Feb 2005

Thanx a million good friends. You made my day!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?