Flash Firmware on Linksys Wireless Modem Router

PA28 16:42 16 Sep 2007

I contacted Linksys technical assistance last week to see if their Network Setup wizard would work with my Linksys Wireless Modem Router - even though it wasn't listed on the software guide. All was working fine but I was having trouble adding a third computer to the network, so suspected security/firewall settings.

No problem, said the friendly technical advisor on the free helpline. In fact he offered to guide me through the process. Great I thought! So he noted down the hardware used and the router settings.

Having seen the Firmware of the Wireless Modem Router was still V01.01.00, he said I needed to update the firmware. He told me how to enable the settings so that he could do it for me. So far so good.

Needless to say, the flash firmware upgrade failed. The router just flashed at me, and then couldn't be accessed for love nor money. My advisor at Linksys could be heard to wobble and discussed the process with his supervisor. Eventually he advised that Linksys would replace my equipment.

As I run a business from this system I was a little less than delighted. I am waiting for Linksys to get back in touch regarding replacement having meantime lashed up a modem to at least allow access to the Internet for one machine.

Question is - is there anything I can do to reflash or otherwise repair my Linksys unit without having to wait for a replacement? I can download and save firmware software from the Linksys site - I just don't know how I can flash it to the unit.

Oh, and to warn others not to accept this type of action even if offered by a technical expert. There was no warning of what actions the technician was taking until it was too late and the damage done. He didn't have a recovery plan for this scenario........

crosstrainer 16:46 16 Sep 2007

Very unlikely that you can re-flash...In view of the fact that Linksys are replacing the kit, it sounds to me as though the technical "expert" used the wrong flash file...I'd say the router was almost certainly dead.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?