Flash drives, can you format them?

octal 20:33 16 Jan 2006

As the title says, I'm looking at mine at the moment and just wondering, it says nothing in the manual about it. Not as if I'm planning to do that of course, just curious that's all.

Cuddles 20:39 16 Jan 2006

Yes you can

keith-236785 20:39 16 Jan 2006

once connected, you treat it as a hard drive, delete/write/format etc.

just depends i think on what you are connecting it to as to whether it would need formatting in a particular way or if windows format would do, it would do if all you are using the flash drive as removable storage.

octal 20:44 16 Jan 2006

Oh right, thanks. I can't see a way to do it on my Linux, but probably in Windows you can.

I'll tick.

keith-236785 15:54 17 Jan 2006

octal, i will take a look in linux and see if i can help but as a linux newby then im totally in the dark. i will post back later, i need to reboot and get into linux.

keith-236785 15:55 17 Jan 2006

ps, which linux are you using...i am on mandriva 2006

Stuartli 16:11 17 Jan 2006

Flash drives are usually formatted when used in digital cameras. If you use it for other purposes it has to be reformatted in the camera again before photographic use.

octal 17:27 17 Jan 2006

It's not a camera one, its a USB one.

click here

paperman27
I'm using Xandros. I don't suppose you can format it in Linux, but I do stand to be corrected because I expect there is a command to achieve that, like there is to do most things in Linux ;-)

keith-236785 20:41 17 Jan 2006

via the control center/mount points/creat, delete, resize hard drive partitions, you can mount the usb pendrive, in my case it is then available through the "devices" icon on my desktop.

it is in as Hard Drive sdg1

that is where i come unstuck, i dont know how to format in linux.

(might be the Home folder on your xandros, then hit the up arrow to go up a stage or two, then double click on mnt, it should have USB_KEY)

hope that helps

octal 21:11 17 Jan 2006

Well, you can do it click here but it will format it to the Linux system and it won't be able to be read by Windows.
So unless you only want to use it on Linux that's fine, but if you want to move the device between Linux and Windows it will have to formatted in FAT32 which both can read/write to.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?