flash drive as extra memory?

palinka 10:47 01 Apr 2010

I have an elderly laptop (WinXP) that is very slow (lack of memory). I hardly ever need to use it as I normally use a desktop, so I don’t want to go to the expense of installing a lot of additional memory (suitable quantity & type of memory would be approx £82 from Crucial).
I have small flash drives for transferring files, etc. I’ve never tried using them as additional memory, and they are too small to make any appreciable difference.
But at the moment I could buy, for example, 8Gb memory in the form of a San Disk Flash drive for around £12. Can Flash drives really be used to provide extra memory – and how much ? Is it the entire “size” of the drive, or only a proportion of it. 8GB would be more than adequate – 2GB would probably be sufficient. And how does using flash drive in this way square with the total amount of memory installed - or total amount that can be installed? Would welcome advice, please.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:14 01 Apr 2010

XP cannot use flash drives as extra memory only extra storage

Vista and W7 can use Flash drives as more memory.

XP 32bit is limited to 3.5G of memory anything more is wasted.

Are you confusing memory with hard drive space

Make and model of laptop?

There are other ways to increase speed of a machine although extra memory is the easiest and fastest.

palinka 12:04 01 Apr 2010

thanks for that, Fruit Bat /\0/\
It's an Acer ASpire 1310 approx 6(?) yrs old

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:26 01 Apr 2010

click here

Once you know the type of memory -
Have you tried Ebay for someone breaking up an old machine

palinka 12:30 01 Apr 2010

that's a brilliant idea; thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017