Flash Drive

JohnC123 17:47 25 Mar 2006

My Flash drive is not being recognised by the computer, I tried looking in computer management - whenever I go to disk management a window appears, usually several at once all the same saying "an internal error occurred. Restart the disk management snapin" Can someone please tell me where it is and how to restart it. I tried to find it in Services - it's not there.
Thanks - John

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:53 25 Mar 2006

Start / Run / diskmgmt.msc / OK.

does this work?

If not then Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

JohnC123 17:59 25 Mar 2006

Thanks for your quick reply Fruit Bat, I already did these before I put the question on pc advisor. Whenever I try to run diskmanagement, I get several windows popping up, each one says "an internal error has occurred, restart the disk management snapin" I tried scannow several times, what I need to know is: Where is the snapin and how do I restart it ?

ade.h 17:45 26 Mar 2006

bump

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:19 26 Mar 2006

Start - Run - type services.msc

Make sure both Locigal disk managers and smart card are set to automatic

JohnC123 19:22 26 Mar 2006

I have set both logical disk managers and the smart card to Automatic, no change - I'm still getting the internal error message. I'll try a re-boot and see if that does anything

JohnC123 19:32 26 Mar 2006

Re-booted. Now the pc recognises my flash drive and will open it up to view the files.
I just looked again at disk management and the strange error pop-up is still present. I'll leave this thread open for a little while longer just in case someone knows how to restart the disk management snap-in - otherwise, the objective has been achieved - I can read the flash Drive ! Many thanks -- John

wbiggchiefy 19:35 26 Mar 2006

I get the same problem with one of my PC's - really strange as on my laptop the flash drive works fine and it also works fine on my PC at work but oh on my desktop ..... just no luck .

I tried sfc/scannow as well and this did not work - could u pls explwin about the "logical disk manager " bit as I am not that technically advanced (just a novice really)

Chiefy

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:48 26 Mar 2006

logical disk manager
click here

Smart Card
click here

Can click properties then start but have found if set to automatic or manual seems to work better after a reboot

JohnC123 06:59 27 Mar 2006

wbiggchiefy: One other thing I found to be helful initially was to re-set the Virtual Memory - it was set too high - I altered the settings so that the puter manages it now and this helped with the problem.Right Click on My Computer, then open: / Properties / Advanced / Performance Settings / advanced / Virtual Memory /Change - select "System managed size" - set / Then OK on all the tabs to get back to my computer. I hope this works for you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)