Flaky broadband

Neph 18:16 01 Oct 2006

My broadband connection often fails to establish itself when I boot up my PC - it can take 3 or 4 attempts before it is successful, which is becoming increasingly annoying.
I suspect that this has something to do with the 20m cable that I have to use between my PC and the nearest telephone point.
I am therefore thinking of installing a wireless router which would require a much shorter cable connection.
Can anyone advise whether this proposed course of action is likely to succeed or whether I will still be left with a flaky connection?

Stuartli 18:22 01 Oct 2006

I use a 20 metre ADSL data cable from my Master Socket to an ADSL modem router (was originally a USB modem) and there are no speed problems.

Are you using a telephone extension lead rather than an ADSL data cable as, if so, that could/might be the reason?

However, my youngest offspring uses a high quality 20m telephone extension to his loft space and it's OK with his 2MB BB service.

sean-278262 18:22 01 Oct 2006

It should work however you never said what modem you use to connect. Do you use an RJ11 connector (homephone line) or an RJ45 network cable? Home phone cables are only really for dial or or short broadband runs of 5-10m max in my experience try moving the computer to be closer or opt for a longer rj45 cable and shorter RJ11.

Neph 18:30 01 Oct 2006

I'm using a SAGEM ADSL modem with an RJ11 cable. Moving the PC closer to the phone point isn't really an option. The connection is relatively stable once established (although there are sometimes problems losing it when in use) - the main problem is establishing the connection in the first place. As I say, it often requires 3 or 4 reboots which is a pain.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?