fixonclick - has anyone dealth with this firm?

Housten 15:59 28 Mar 2010

Good afternoon everyone,

I am not sure which forum I should be using; I am hoping this is the best one. I realise that this is quite long and I apologise for that but I feel that I should include some details

I was ‘phoned yesterday afternoon by ‘fixonclick.com’ but the way the gentleman spoke to me and the subject made me assume that he was something to do with Microsoft. He said he was ringing because my computer was sending out many error messages. ( What I didn’t even think of or consider was that he was from someone other than Microsoft, as they would only be the only company that would get warnings sent from my computer, wouldn’t they? ) Okay, okay my wife has already been on at me many times but he ‘proved’ this by getting me to click on ‘Start’, get ‘run’ and then run from there a programme called ‘eventvwr’. This programme produced a list that included many errors which he said meant that I had corrupted files and which when corrected would make the computer run 10 times faster. Whilst the computer running faster would, obviously, be an advantage the fact that I had the corrupted files is what I found truly worrying. I have always tried to make sure that I had firewall and anti-virus software up and running, and up to date. I suppose I was ‘confused’ but after his ‘tech support’ guy had shown me a list of over 30,000 of these and they had my computer under their control I was asked to pay £139.99 for two years of protection. At that point I thought that if I said ‘No’ I didn’t know what state my computer would be left in, so I ( probably stupidly? ) submitted, and, eventually after 5 hours, I got my computer back. But many things had been changed/altered/amended or whatever you want to call it. My desktop was just black, rather than the scenic picture that I had had, the addresses that were on the drop-down section of the internet bar, the 20+ that I regularly use, were gone and the font used was not only different but the lines are so thin that the words are for me, a pensioner with eye problems, difficult to read. I have also shutdown and re-booted several times and the computer is not 10 times faster. In fact when booting up the length of time seems about the same but shutting down definitely takes longer – the little circle beside the ‘shutting down’ logo goes round more than 60 times now! So the questions I would appreciate answers to are : if I use a restore point prior to Friday ( say ), will I get the internet addresses and fonts back the way they were i.e. will I get back the ‘look and feel’ I had previously; do the distance selling regulations apply in this case or have I lost this protection because of the work that was done on my computer and has anyone had any dealings with ‘fixonclick.com’ and are they a reputable company. At the moment I am not sure what to do and am inclined just to write the money off. Any help would be very much appreciated. Many thanks in anticipation from a silly old pensioner.

Sea Urchin 16:26 28 Mar 2010

I am afraid you have been the victim of a terrible scam - the whole story was fabricated, and there was nothing wrong with your PC. Worse still - they presumably now have your credit card number, so I would call your bank/card company and cancel the card. If you tell them the problem you might also get your £139 back.

This fraudster may also now have permanent access to your PC - so I would be inclined to restore to factory settings. Others may advise as to the necessity for this.

I'm truly sorry to hear this story, and am appalled at the callousness of the caller - sadly this is all too common.

Sea Urchin 16:28 28 Mar 2010

Furthermore I think a system restore to before you received this call might be a good start.

Housten 16:35 28 Mar 2010

Sea Urchin

Many thanks for your info and fast response! As I said I an concerned as to how they got my name and telephone number but you say that "I would be inclined to restore to factory settings." Wouldn't a restore from a restore point work, or do you think too many changes have been made to my computer's settings to enable a restore to work?

any other advice gratefully received.

Housten 16:35 28 Mar 2010

Sea Urchin

Posts crossed - many thanks

Sea Urchin 16:38 28 Mar 2010

The problem as I see it is that you have no idea just what they did to your PC - they can do a lot of damage in 5 minutes - let alone 5 hours.

But see what others think.

Technotiger 16:43 28 Mar 2010

A System Restore back to before this sorry saga, would probably get you back to how it was before. What OS do you have XP/Vista etc?

Technotiger 16:44 28 Mar 2010

Also agree with Sea Urchin - contact your bank/card company ASP.

Technotiger 16:48 28 Mar 2010

As a matter of interest, Microsoft will never contact you out-of-the-blue by telephone, and ALL of have lots of so-called errors, if we take the bother to look into Event Viewer! Does not mean our computers are having any problems.

Technotiger 16:48 28 Mar 2010

Ooops, missed out the word 'us' between ALL of ... have lots ....

Sea Urchin 16:51 28 Mar 2010

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?