fixmbr and fixboot on a netbook

dms_05 10:33 25 Jan 2011

I need to run fixmbr and maybe fixboot on a Netbook which has no optical drive.

Can I run these from RUN>CMD whilst in XP or do I need to boot via a CD (as recommended) before running the commands.

If I need to run from the the CD is it possible to run the recovery console from a USB Memory stick or will I need an external USB CD/DVD drive?

michaelw 12:50 25 Jan 2011

You can only do it from the command prompt on the cd's recovery consul click here

GaT7 13:02 25 Jan 2011

michaelw, dms_05 has no optical drive.

dms_05, if you can run them whilst in XP, why would you need to run them at all? Unless you had Linux dual-booting with XP, & want to get rid of the Linux boot menu.

Yes, you can run those commands via a Recovery Console using a bootable USB flash drive - click here for instructions. G

dms_05 14:22 25 Jan 2011

Crossbow7 - spot on. I want to return the HDD to it's original state so need to remove GRUB. Normally it's easily done with fixmbr/fixboot but that needs an optical drive. I will try the bootable USB method in the link. Thanks for your help.

In previous releases of Kubuntu they included a utility to rewrite the mbr but that seems to have disappeared in v10.10.

I had wondered about using fdisk/mbr from within Kubuntu but I think I'd prefer the XP method.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone