FIXMBR

Splodge 07:50 08 Oct 2009

I have just bought a program from that shopping channel which allows me to run 2 OS or up to 6 if I have space.

I had thought to try it out and then, when Windows7 is issued have that plus XP on the sane computer.

It is fiddly but I did initially manage to have an extra bare XP operating sistem (with no additional external programs) running alongside the initial full XP with everything installed including lots of downloaded programs. So far so good.

But, I fiddled once too often and (as the instructions warned) it scrambled my computer. I used my back-up drive to restore my system but I cannot now run the program. I quote;

"If the boot menu isn't being shown, restart your computer, then as the PC goes through the start up BIOS screen hit the F8 key every half-second until the Windows Advanced options menu appears. Choose "Return to OS choices menu" to access the boot menu.
If you had previously been using a multiboot system and you wish to convert your PC back to single boot for HyperOs, then run FIXMBR from the repair console of Windows 2000, XP or Vista. This will rewrite your Master Boot Record to single boot".

Please how do I run FIXMBR and where is the repair console of Windows XP.

I shouldn't play with matches should I? But at least I had a fire extinguisher ready.

gengiscant 08:57 08 Oct 2009

Have a look here.
click here=

Splodge 09:25 08 Oct 2009

gengiscant:

How stupid of me! I should have used Google at once. Panic I suppose, but thank you very much for unscrambling my brain if not my computer! LOL

gengiscant 07:59 10 Oct 2009

WE all have these moments, hope you got the problem sorted.

Splodge 08:29 10 Oct 2009

What a disaster it was!
I had the bright(?) idea of using the back-up part of the system to back up the Windows XP and restoring to the other system. That worked!

However, I also got a list of "entry denied" etc.

So although the basic new system did work, I would have had to install every program again and I did not have a copy of all the documents but ....
I could no longer access the origin XP program at all, it just offered access to the new one. Good job I have belt and braces in the form of backups.

The shopping channel said it was re-appearing "after 4 years" and I now understand why. I suspect the original maker has sold on the rights to the program. I have been in contact with the new company but after an initial flurry of messages, no further response.

My last e-mail told him that it was a trap for the unwary.

I can visualise others losing their programs and data and suing the new Company because they may not back up!

It should be "idiot-proof" and it isn't!

Incidentally, I placed an order for recycled ink cartridges on the net and lost my money... they have gone bust!

Not my week and beware all, the downturn is now affecting the net and not just stores!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?