Fixing an additional Hard Drive and Partitioning

jayatissa 10:08 05 Sep 2009

My PC had a 80 GB hard disk and was partitioned into two. One part is a primary partition and a the other is a logical. The Primary partition is having the operating system.

I fixed an additional Hard disk to my computer so as to increase my storage capacity. I do not want to change the operating system or the old disk. This new Hard drive is only for storage of my work. Its capacity is 320 GB. I wanted to partition it to three. I used the Windows XP Disk Manager facility and got the Hard drive divided into three parts.

Now Both Hard drives and the computer are working without any problem.

The New Hard drive has three partitions. Two partitions of that have become Primary parturitions and the other one is Logical partition. I wanted to change these three into Logical partitions.

When I try to manipulate it to change its status one Primary partition has converted to Primary - Active partition.

My impression is that it would be better if I can convert all these three partitions of the new Hard disk to Logical Partitions with inactive status. I do not have any logical reason for that but I believe that it should be the best and effective way to have additional disk partitions for storage purpose.

I write these details to ask you experts for an advice. Can I change these two Primary partitions (Local Drive G: and H:) to Logical inactive partitions using window XP's disk manager or with what ever facility of Xp. I do not have any other third party softwares to handle this.

If it can not be changed, what will happen if I retain these status as it is and use the computer. I like to know whether the active primary partition (Local Drive G:) gives any adverse effect or extra load to the the computer when it is starting.

I eagerly looking for experts' advise. I have not saved any data yet into the new Hard drive because of this confusion. This is the fist time I did this type of work. Therefore I could not manipulate the Wizard correctly when creating the partitions.

I have got a snap shot of the Disk Manager window.
I will try try to link it too for further clarification. In the picture,
Disk 1 is the OLD DISK having operation system
Disk 0 is the NEW DISK - I recently fixed.

I wonder why this second disk has got the Disk 0 name. It is also a question to me.
Jayatissa

woodchip 11:44 05 Sep 2009

I think that you have to have at least one Primary Partition on a Drive this made Active

GaT7 12:14 05 Sep 2009

woodchip is right. Any partitioned drive needs to have at least one Primary partition (PP), which will automatically be set to 'Active'. You can have 4 PPs at most.

You can have an Extended partition (EP), which can in turn be sub-divided into as many Logical drives you need (space-permitting). I think this is what you meant by 'inactive' partitions?

If your present arrangement doesn't appeal to you, you could delete them all (on the 2nd drive) & start afresh. As you don't have any data in them at present, you can experiment to your heart's content :-).

"I like to know whether the active primary partition (Local Drive G:) gives any adverse effect or extra load to the the computer when it is starting." - You may have a point there. This is my present setup click here (yes, all PPs). I'll remove my 2nd hard drive & let you know if it makes any difference with startup.

If you notice from the pic, my OS disk is Disk 0, so it's a bit strange yours is Disk 1. G

jayatissa 05:15 07 Sep 2009

Dear Crossbow7,Thank you very much for your advice.Your picture shows a similar situation except for the disk number. Now I'm confident with my present situation.
Please tell me how do you attached your picture to your posting. I also can attach a picture of the desk top (Disk Management dialog box)for your reference if you teach me how it should be done. Thank you. --Jayatissa-

GaT7 10:20 07 Sep 2009

Hi jayatissa,

"I'll remove my 2nd hard drive & let you know if it makes any difference with startup." - I tried it, & it makes no difference btw. G

----------------------------------------------

To post a screenshot in the forum:

1. Take the screenshot. Instructions at click here (or use a free third-party tool click here)

2. Edit it (if required only) using a photo-editor. I normally use the free Paint.Net click here or XNView click here, as I find them a lot better than Windows Paint

3. Save the file, making a note of the location/path you saved it in

4. Host the saved file at Imageshack click here or TinyPic click here

5. Post the DIRECT link in the forum 'Message' box alongwith the rest of your reply.

jayatissa 12:24 07 Sep 2009

Dear Crossbow7, Thank you very much for all your advises. Pl. see the pic.1 (click here) for the results I had earlier. Following your advises I deleted Partition G: (which was an active PP) and re-partitioned the unparti. space. This time I could manage to get without active status. But there was no option to turn it to a Logical Partition. But as you said, if it won't make much difference, I should be comfortable with it.
The latest situation is seen in the Pic.2.(click here)
Thank you again for teaching me how to attach a picture to a forum.Best Regards.---Jayatissa--

jayatissa 12:27 07 Sep 2009

Thank you very much for all who supported me to get this done. Now I am comfortable with my second Hard drive. -- Jayatissa--

GaT7 15:14 07 Sep 2009

"But there was no option to turn it to a Logical Partition."

You needed to first create an Extended partition (EP) in the unpartitioned space (after the initial Primary partition), then divided this into Logical drives/partitions.

It looks good as it is though.

I'm glad you were able to follow my little guide & post a pic :-). Will come in handy for the future too I guess. G

jayatissa 17:22 07 Sep 2009

Thank you very much.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017