fixboot and fixmbr

onthelimit 09:14 12 Aug 2010

Quite by chance, I used these commands on a couple of laptops that booted to a black screen, and they recovered. I'd appreciate an explanation as to when to use which and what they do. I've Googled it, and become very confused as a result! Thanks.

birdface 09:43 12 Aug 2010

Googled.

click here

Same as yourself not sure when you would try it.
No doubt someone will be able to explain it better.
And something to remember for future problems.

Graphicool1 10:10 12 Aug 2010

What Is the Fixboot Command?:
The fixboot command is a Recovery Console command that writes a new partition boot sector to the system partition that you specify.

Fixboot Command Syntax:
fixboot (drive)

drive = This is the drive that a boot sector will be written to and will replace the system partition that you're currently logged on to. If no drive is specified, the boot sector will be written to the system partition that you're currently logged on to.

Fixboot Command Examples:
fixboot c:In the above example, the boot sector is written to the partition that's currently labeled as the C: drive - most likely the partition you are currently logged on to. If that is the case, this command could be run without the c: option.

Fixboot Command Availability:
The fixboot command is only available from within the Recovery Console in Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

Fixboot Related Commands:
The following commands are related to the fixboot command:

Fixmbr | Diskpart | Bootcfg

SOURCE...click here

onthelimit 11:40 12 Aug 2010

Thanks Guys. So if it's only 2000 and XP, is there a similar fix for later systems I wonder?

buteman - it was almost magiacl the way it fixed the problems so, yes, something to remember.

rdave13 11:44 12 Aug 2010

This any help? click here

onthelimit 12:26 12 Aug 2010

Thanks rdave - perfect for my armoury.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017