Fitting a second hdd

Daiol 13:28 09 May 2010

Hi,As one of my earlier posts regarding removing my floppy disc drive A.I left the cables concerned connected to the motherboard etc just tied them back away fron any fans.
Now I'm intending to fit a second hdd into my tower,Now can I use these cables to connect the new hdd??.Using windows xp pro.Help please.
Thanks daiol.

Fingees 13:35 09 May 2010

Usually a floppy disc uses a different type of connector and cable than a hard drive.

so the answer is no.

Check what connectors are available on the motherboard, either use a new cable to fit, or you may be able to use a new drive by connecting as slave, to existing HD cable.

All the best.

bobbybowls 13:35 09 May 2010

no they are not compatible. if your hard drive is ide (2"wide flat ribbon cable)there should be either a second connector on the cable or a second slot on the motherboard for an additional cable.

DieSse 15:01 09 May 2010

"Usually a floppy disc uses a different..."

Not usually - Always.

woodchip 15:10 09 May 2010

but you still may be able to connect the disc.If you do not Have a Free Socket to suit the Hard Drive on the Mobo, you can if you have got a free PCI slot get a PCI card that you can plug the hard drive into

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:17 09 May 2010
  Daiol 20:53 09 May 2010

Thankyou all for the replies,Just one other point,Which would be the best option 'Internal hdd or an external'.
Thanks once again.

woodchip 21:04 09 May 2010

Internal if you only use one computer, plus its faster write speed

Daiol 22:00 09 May 2010

Thanks all,I think I got it now.
Many thanks d.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?