Fitting a new hard-drive

Dorkins 06:27 14 Apr 2007

Have been given a 3yr old PC but it doesn't have an hard-drive. I have now purchased a SATA hard-drive and would like to know if it is just a case of fitting it inside the pc's box will everything be alright? Thanks for any help or advice.

Technotiger 07:02 14 Apr 2007

Hi, a 3yr old pc - make sure it has the necessary SATA requirements as below ...

Desktop PCs are fitted with 3.5-inch drives, which utilise either an IDE or the newer serial ATA (SATA) interface when connecting to the motherboard. All motherboards will have an IDE interface; boards constructed in the past three or so years will also have a SATA interface. Drives using the latter technology are superior and easier to fit. Bear in mind that your PSU will need a SATA power connection. Failing that, you’ll either need to buy a suitable an adaptor or stick to IDE drives.

Technotiger 07:05 14 Apr 2007

Can you give us full details of the motherboard?

ICF 07:07 14 Apr 2007

Does your motherboard have SATA connectors? If it has it's easy look at the links below.

click here

click here

Dorkins 07:53 14 Apr 2007

All i know is that the pc is an HP Media Center, Desktop PC. And that the previous hard drive was a 200GB SATA Hard-Drive. I want to fit an 160GB SATA Hard-Drive as it's all i can afford. I want to install a version of Linux on it so i hope an 160GB Hard-Drive will be sufficient. Thanks for all the help.

Technotiger 08:09 14 Apr 2007

Right, so you should not have any problems, just follow ICF's links. Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?