fitting memory..3 bleeps

whatsupdoc 15:20 20 Dec 2004

i tried to fit some extra memory into my computer and when it starts up it keeps giving 3 bleeps and when i take it out again the comp starts normally. does anyone know what i'm doing wrong. the shop told me what memory i needed, pc2100.

regards ann

georgemac 15:27 20 Dec 2004

click here and download and run everest home edition - then post back with the type of motherboard and ram that is currently in your system - that will be the starting point

slimbo51 15:30 20 Dec 2004

Usually means memory incompatible with either other memory sticks or M/Board on boot up.

whatsupdoc 15:33 20 Dec 2004

GA-8SIML m.board
SiS 650 chipset

Processor celeron 1.8ghz

Socket 478 for Intel® Micro FC-PGA2 Pentium® 4 processor.400 MHz FSB
Memory
2 x 184-Pin DIMM slot no.1 slot 128mb no.2 slot empty
Supports up to 2GB DDR266 memory

ann

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:50 20 Dec 2004

Information on the
Giga-Byte GA-8SIML
184-pin DIMM Banking: 3 (3 banks of 1)
Chipset: SiS 650
DDR SDRAM Frequencies: PC1600 and PC2100
Error Detection Support: Non-ECC only
Graphics Support: AGP 4X
Max Unbuffered DDR SDRAM: 2048MB
Module Types Supported: Unbuffered only
Supported DRAM Types: DDR SDRAM only
USB Support: 1.x Compliant

This is what you need, could have wrong memory module, module is faulty, or not installed correctly push fully home make sure side clips fully located.

Try the new stick on its own to see if itt is faulty.

Newuser2346 15:51 20 Dec 2004

Do you have the motherboard manual? Also, try putting the new memory in front of the old, i.e. larger blob first.

georgemac 16:30 20 Dec 2004

in everest, click on motherboard then spd - this will give you all the memory module details

then try the new stick on it's own, if it works get the same info from everest

then try them both together again, with the larget stick in the lowest numbered slot.

remember to make sure there is no power to the motherboard when changing chips and make sure you have grounded yourself so you have no static which could fry the chips.

whatsupdoc 16:47 20 Dec 2004

thankyou all.
tried to put in the new memory again and it wouldnt seat properly. it turns out that the shop labled it wrongly as its pc2100 sdram not the ddr that i need. all praise for mays in leicester as ibought a 256 stick and when i take it back in the morning they are going to give me a 512mb for the same price.

thanks again ann.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?