Fitting a Blu - Ray dive in laptop

Ballie 21:39 12 Sep 2010

Hi I have just bought a new laptop.

HP Pavilion DV6-2113SA - Turion II Ultra DC M620, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, 15.6" HD TFT, DVD±RW, ATI HD4530, Bluetooth, Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium.

see here click here

It doesn't come with a Blu-Ray drive I want to ask can I just replace the current sata drive with a sata blu-ray drive and it will work? will I need software to play blu-rays or will windows 7 do the job?

Any help please.

Nontek 23:24 12 Sep 2010

I am wondering if changing the hardware in a new laptop might invalidate its warranty??

However, adding an external usb blu-ray drive would do no harm. If any special software is needed, I am sure it would come with a new drive.

click here

morddwyd 06:46 13 Sep 2010

Is it worth the expense just to get HD on a 15" screen?

Will the difference be that noticeable?

Taff™ 07:46 13 Sep 2010

click here The HP data sheet suggests that it has Blu-ray support however none of the models seem to offer an internal blu-ray drive and I can`t find one on the HP website for this model.

That would suggest the only option is an external drive but If you look at the make of the current Optical drive. (It is usually only a couple of screws to remove and the drive can be removed) you might check their website to see if they make one that will simply replace your original drive.

In no way will this "Push Fit" replacement negate your warranty. Just dont force anything!

Ballie 09:29 13 Sep 2010

Thanks, I am not worried about it invalidating its warranty, if anything went wrong with the laptop and it needed a warranty repair I would just pop the original drive before sending it back as you say its a 5 min job.

The reason I wanted Blu - Ray isnt to watch on my laptop, as you say the small 15" screen wont show the quailty, but I want to use the laptop as a portable blu-ray play and use the HDMI out to connect to large flat screen TV'S. the cost of a blu-ray drive (£100) is a cheap way of doing this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?