Fitted 2xDVD drives to Vostro 200, not seeing either?

buel 21:29 12 Feb 2014

Hi, As my title suggests, I have fitted two DVD drives/writers to my Dell Vostro 200 and neither are being 'seen' by my PC. Do I need to download drivers perhaps?

buel 21:42 12 Feb 2014

These are the DVD drives:

click here

buel 22:15 12 Feb 2014

There were no instructions for drivers with the DVD drives?

northumbria61 22:38 12 Feb 2014

Might seem obvious but have you got a Power Cable and a SATA cable to each drive?

buel 23:34 12 Feb 2014

Hi, Well there was only a sata cable to the one I took out you see (and that read DVDs fine), does there HAVE to be a power cable too?

lotvic 23:54 12 Feb 2014

buel, the instructions are on the link you have given click here and yes it needs power... the sata cable is for data.

If you look in the lefthandside column of the link you gave there is a menu:

How to install

1. How to install the drive
  2. How to connect the cables
  3. How to install the driver
  4. How to update the Firmware
  alanrwood 10:51 13 Feb 2014

Some Sata cables combine the power and signal cables into one but even that needs to be connected to a power source so maybe the original single cable was on of those.

There is normally no need to install drivers for DVDs as they are native to Windows and usually install automatically when the drive is detected on boot up.

Just make sure that all the motherboard SATA sockets are enabled in the BIOS.

lotvic 11:12 13 Feb 2014

alanrwood, "make sure that all the motherboard SATA sockets are enabled in the BIOS"

Good point, that's something that often gets overlooked.

buel 19:15 13 Feb 2014

Hi all, Thank you for your help. These photos may help: click here not sure what this white plug is: click here, if it does look like the power is included in the SATA cable (which is what I think may be the case), please can I have some advice as to how to ensure the motherboard SATA sockets are enabled in the BIOS?

I'm Also

rdave13 19:22 13 Feb 2014

Puzzled by your photos. I can see power cables but not the typical "L" shaped type Sata connector?

click here

buel 19:36 13 Feb 2014

I know. Very odd? Does it make any difference if I tell you that the DVD drives eject? Or would it do that with just the SATA cable attached anyway?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?