Fit SARA HD to DELL 2400 or Compaq SR1629UK comput

redeyenewby 11:41 27 Nov 2009

I have inadvertently bought a SATA 160GB Maxtor HD and I have discovered(to my cost) that neither my computer or my wife's appear to support a SATA HD. Would fitting a PCI card (which I have) for and additional HD plus a IDE/SATA kit (which I have) alloow me to use the HD - or would I need a PCI card with SATA connections - or not?

ambra4 13:02 27 Nov 2009

“Would fitting a PCI card (which I have) for and additional HD plus a IDE/SATA kit (which I have) allow me to use the HD - or would I need a PCI card with SATA connections - or not?”

It would be best if you get a SATA PCI card

4 Port SATA PCI Expansion Card

click here

redeyenewby 15:11 27 Nov 2009

Thank you ambra4, I have ordered the card (from ebay - it's cheaper. Same card!) Via6421a chipset etc. I already have the cables so I'm "good to ho". Thanks again.

redeyenewby 11:39 05 Dec 2009

ambra4, have purchased and fitted the PCI card. It says it has a 6421 chipset. When I fitted it in my Compaq it recognised it but the driver was a 3249. What's the difference. I have subsequently fitted a 160 GB SATA drive connected to the card but there is no recognition. What;s up. Help!

ambra4 13:02 05 Dec 2009

“When I fitted it in my Compaq it recognized it but the driver was a 3249. What's the difference?”

Not to sure on what is the difference

It seems to be a generic driver, which calls it a raid 3249

Is the card showing up in Device Manager?

Make sure that the SATA cable is connected to port 0 on the card

What is the make and model # of the card

redeyenewby 15:59 05 Dec 2009

abra4, Thank you for your quick response. The card is the one which you recommended in your response "click here". I have now gone onto the MAXTOR website and posed the question about nonrecognition of my new SATA drive. Result a complete description of how to get the HD recognised, formatted and drive letter allocated. All done. Thank you for your help earlier. Regards.

ambra4 19:22 05 Dec 2009

Glad to hear all working

Enjoy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?