First-time PC builder

peasey 13:40 05 Feb 2012

I am going to be building a PC for the first time, primarily for gaming, although I do not want to break the bank. I have spent some time researching various components and think I have settled on an initial list. However, I would be grateful for any advice as to whether these components will all be compatible and/or whether it is worth me considering better alternatives. Components are:

Processor: Intel i5-2500k Motherboard: Asrock P67 Extreme 4 RAM: Patriot 8GB DDR3 1600 CL8 Dual Channel Kit Viper II Xtreme Division Graphics card: Asus 1GB GeForce GTX 560TI DirectCUII PCI-E Graphics Card PSU: Antec TruePower New Modular 650W '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply Hard drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm

For cooling I understand the stock Intel precessor cooling unit should suffice for the i5-2500k. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance for any help!

chub_tor 16:02 05 Feb 2012

I don't see anything majorly wrong with your choice of components but this will show you AsRocks guaranteed compatibility for the CPU and memory. Have you chosen a case and an OS?

peasey 15:48 06 Feb 2012

I haven't chosen a case as yet, not really sure how large it would need to be but I'm assuming a medium size case would suffice.

As for OS, I think it would be Windows 7.

northumbria61 16:07 06 Feb 2012

Plenty to chose from here enter link description here

chub_tor 16:08 06 Feb 2012

The board you have chosen is a full size ATX so I would suggest at least a midi tower or a full tower. Take a look at ebuyer, aria, scan etc. for a good selection. You will need the 64 bit version of Win7 to take advantage of your memory.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires