First post - page loading speeds

pepsy 23:36 08 Oct 2003

Hi all sorry if its been asked before but I tried the archive search and no joy.
For the last week or so I,ve been getting very slow page loading speeds - 30 secs or a minute .
then it will be fine and 2 mins later start again

Any ideas? - I'm on 98se

Thanks

whybe 23:42 08 Oct 2003

Hi, what type of connection are you on? I'm on broadband and have had some pages take the sort of time your talking about or not at all. One of the reasons is from the fallout of these viruses clogging servers. I have been assured that it is true. Before that were you having problems?

woodchip 23:55 08 Oct 2003

One of the things that PCA site does not like is cookies disabled I run netscape and can select what cookies to run as individuals or not. if it stops any of the server isp's like doubleclick etc it will stall try keep hitting the reload when it stopes but as soon as the page arrives press stop otherwise you will loose it again. if you enable all cookies you will not have as many problems of page loading

pepsy 00:06 09 Oct 2003

I'm on freeserve broadband
Also I've just bought a new pc and had no problems on my older( and slower) pc

Forum Editor 00:09 09 Oct 2003

or to sites in general?

Page loading can be affected by many things, including server loads, Internet hubs and switches, site design, image file sizes, etc., etc.

Our own site handles varying traffic loads, depending on the time of day, and the day of the week, and you'll sometimes see this reflected in page loading times. Try not to keep clicking if a page is slow to load. Each time you click you send a fresh call to the server, and in fact you add to the problem if it's a server-side issue in the first place.

pepsy 00:16 09 Oct 2003

It happens on lots of different sites.
sometimes if I'm connected and I use, say Word,when I try to bring up the home page again I can get the same thing - a 30 sec delay before the freeserve homepage loads

Forum Editor 00:16 09 Oct 2003

there's no earthly reason why you should wait a minute for a page to load - on this site or any other one.

I'm interested to hear that you have only experienced the problem since getting a new computer - do I take it that you had the broadband service on the old machine? If you did, the problem probably lies with the new computer, and we can try to track it down.

pepsy 00:22 09 Oct 2003

Yes - same service and modem
its also just taken about 20 secs for the link to this post from your e mail

I've also done many speed tests and they all come out around 470

pepsy 00:24 09 Oct 2003

By the way , the new pc is athlon 2400+ 256 ram 80gb hd

pepsy 22:24 09 Oct 2003

any ideas?

thanks

woodchip 23:11 09 Oct 2003

See what you get hear click here try both images and make a note of the details

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?