First Laptop

RussB74 14:08 20 Sep 2007

Hi
If a Laptop is used mainly by the mains Power extention, is it a good idea to leave the Battery Pack out, and secondly can the film that covers the sreen be removed and if so how.
Not very technical questions but I would like to know what other Laptop users do.

Forum Editor 14:12 20 Sep 2007

if you are going to use the laptop for extended periods on the mains supply some people say you should remove the battery.

I use laptops on mains supplies a great deal, and have done so for years. In all that time I have never once removed a battery, and have never once noticed any ill effects. That's not a definitive answer - just my personal experience.

Forum Editor 14:13 20 Sep 2007

If you mean the protective plastic film that's on the screen when you buy the laptop - yes, it can easily be removed - just look for a corner and peel it gently off.

RussB74 14:20 20 Sep 2007

Forum Editor,
Many Thanks for your swift reply, I can take it from there.

RussB74 10:07 01 Oct 2007

All OK now, many thanks.

woodchip 11:01 01 Oct 2007

I never leave my battery in as if it's not the latest type Laptop the battery is on charge all the time, that's just as bad as leaving it flat. Take it out when about 50 to 60% charge and store in a cool place to stop it running down as fast. My Battery is like new after three years, It just goes in when I take it out on the road

woodchip 11:34 01 Oct 2007
  woodchip 11:39 01 Oct 2007
  RussB74 13:38 01 Oct 2007

Thanks Woodchip,
It is a new Toshiba Satellite that I have, the first one, so was not sure what to do about leaving the battery in or out.
Have taken it out now and will charge it up every so often.
Thanks for the very good threads, i shall have a read of them all.

Russ

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?