First ever build - for gaming

andy85wsm 16:54 03 Aug 2007

Just wanted to know if this was a good setup. Playing mainly games, the main one being WoW. Is it good value for the money spent etc?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gigabyte GA_P35C_DS3R (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 & DDR3 Motherboard

£88.11

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.33GHz (1333FSB) - Retail

£111.61

SAMSUNG 20x DVD+/-R/RW/RAM SATA OEM BLACK

£22.03

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB 2500KS SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM

£42.29

Antec Nine Hundred - Gaming Case with 200mm Top Fan - No PSU

£65.37

BFG GeForce 8800GTS OC2 320MB HDCP Enabled Dual DVI PCI Express (580MHz Core Clock) (1700MHz Memory Clock) (1350MHz Shader Clock)

£200.93

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arctic Power 700W PSU - With PCI-E, SATA, 20+4, ATX12V, 8pin +12V Connectors - Retail Boxed

£36.66

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit Edition DVD - OEM

£64.61

Corsair XMS6400 2GB DDR2 (2x1GB) 800Mhz Non-ECC

£69.33

Total cost - £700.16

Is this good for the money? I think ive got stuff thats compatible with everything. Dont know if i need to buy any more cables. Any advice appreciated

skidzy 17:40 03 Aug 2007

The only thing i can really see is the os being the problem.

Vista has had a few knockers regarding gaming,some seem to think xp is better for this.

wolfie3000 17:51 03 Aug 2007

skidzy is right Vista is a good OS but as for games, especially older ones, they simpley either wont run or will crash.

My advise, stick to XP for the next year at least.

Totally-braindead 17:53 03 Aug 2007

The power supply I don't know of and it seems very cheap for a 700 watt power supply, personally with a high powered setup like this I would prefer a better quality branded one. Perhaps its really good but its not one of the ones I know of.

citadel 19:00 03 Aug 2007

I would get an asus motherboard and a enermax infinity psu. psu is very important for top graphics cards

agreed, power supply and operating system are a possible rethink. also a lot of people are downclocking the factory clocked g80 cards with the last 2 drivers as there are bottle necks with cpu and some heat issues, get a standard one, that way you can clock up if you need to, and save money. to give an idea ntune with a 6000 x2 amd chip and an 8800 gts (this is on vista) clocks the cpu up and pretty much leaves the graphics at the factory (500/790) dont skimp on the psu though.

Devil Fish 21:29 03 Aug 2007

power supply i would go for quality

O/s for gaming suspect!

at least until dx10 comes into full play with the devs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?