First connection to Internet fails

Gingermum 08:28 02 Dec 2007

After booting up my computer, the first attempt to connect to the Internet fails. Also I can't do anything else on the computer. It all locks up if I try. After about 2 minutes I will eventually get a failure message, such as web site not found. It makes no difference if I'm using IE, Firefox or some other program such as my AV prog.
After the 2 minutes I can try again and connect. This has been going on for a couple months, so I can't remember any changes I made before this happened.
AV and Anti-spyware all up-to-date and scanned.

birdface 10:02 02 Dec 2007

Try the back of your computer make sure the air vents are clear of fluff and dust,If so inside will also need cleaning.Or Control Panel.Network Connections.Right click Local Area Connection and press repair,Or control Panel.Internet Options.Programs.And make sure Internet Explorer is your default web browser.

dms05 10:12 02 Dec 2007

Are you dial up or broadband? Cable or landline? Have you selected the correct option in IE Connections (ie don't dial if your braodband rather than the other options?, or do dial if your dial up?). You could be on 'dial up if no network connection found' and you are waiting for the system to check out it's status.

Gingermum 09:04 03 Dec 2007

I am using ADSL. I always connect manually before trying to connect to www. Manual connection is immediate with little monitor icons in the task pain. My Outlook works no probs. So it appears that connecting to the Internet is not a problem just to www. I'm wondering if it's something to do with a DNS lookup. It really is strange. After I get the failure notice, I can immediately go whereaver I want.
Still using XP.

birdface 10:27 03 Dec 2007

For DNS Problem you could try.Control Panel.Administrative tools.Services.Scroll down to DNS Client and make sure it is set to automatic.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?