first computer

tony58 20:27 26 Feb 2007

my son will be buying his first computer in the next few months .his choice is a laptop for surfing the web and for video from is new hard drive camcorder, what is the minimum spec he should be looking at,tony

Belatucadrus 21:11 26 Feb 2007

Web surfing isn't really an issue as all PCs can do this easily. With regards to the video, if he's likely to do any editing of the clips, then go to the website of whoever makes the software he'll be using and check out the system requirements, this should give a basic guide as to what the software makers are recommending.

rupie 23:46 26 Feb 2007

Video edit and rendering is very demanding. funnily enough on all but the graphix card. Firewire is vital for this, as well a good DVD recorder. If he is doing it properly then the more you spend on RAM and processsors the quicker it will be

terryf 00:16 27 Feb 2007

Consider not getting a laptop because a keyboard and an lcd display don't take up much more room, especially if he decides to get a printer.He will get more 'bang per buck' with a pc. A pc uses standard components that are produced in such large numbers that they are less expensive than laptop parts. It is difficult to upgrade a laptop and easier to change, repair and upgrade a pc. You can get some quite neat computer furniture from stores like Argos. click here for a decent machine that is suitable for a first time and is well specified, my son bought one for his ma-in-law for her 60th !!!

uesquebeathus 18:42 27 Feb 2007

I will be practically impossible to change his mind but Laptops are a let down as far as I am concerned, they are ok for businesses which can replace each one as they pack up mostly the screen or keyboard, which would cost almost as much as a new Laptop to replace, a friend of mine bought his at christmass as a treat at the end of January he asked me to look at it full of praise for his great buy, but as soon as I saw it I was disgusted, the screen was shot, at that the guarantee would fix it, no luck there either, the company came straight out with," it was all right for a month"," he must have opened it to far ", or "allowed it to overheat on his lap " or "sat it beside a heater " which warped the screen. over £400 to fix and the guarantee was squashed if he got that done by someone else other than them, as he had told them there was a fault.

tony58 18:48 27 Feb 2007

he will use WMA to edit to start with and i will try to talk him round to a pc.tony

tullie 22:52 27 Feb 2007

I have an Acer laptop,and im delighted with it.My desktop has just died,so its another laptop for me.Never had a prob playing any game or application ive got,including movies.

tony58 18:06 28 Feb 2007

thank all ,tony

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?