first casualty?

karmgord 20:44 07 Jun 2006

first casualty of the hot weather,my overclocked pc locked up ,i have removed case and all is fine,while i'm NOT suggesting anyone else removes their case i've posted this to warn people even of non overclocked pc s that any abnormal lock ups could be due to overheating so make sure your pc & "laptop" both have plenty of ventilation and that their vents for drawing in cool air in are clear!

mattyc_92 20:47 07 Jun 2006

Yes....

Time to start talking about "over heating" now... It's that time of the year :-)

Make sure you don't block any fans so your system can keep itself nice and cool.
Your computer will probably become abit slower than normal while the warm weather is about. THIS IS NORMAL. Your system is protecting itself from "frying out"

Jackcoms 20:48 07 Jun 2006

"first casualty of the hot weather"

Err, what hot weather would that be?

I'm in Sussex and have yet to notice any! ;-))

Totally-braindead 20:48 07 Jun 2006

Good advise about checking your vents and fans.

For the newer members I want to point out that running the PC with the sides off can in fact increase the temperature of the PC as this can disrupt the airflow and I presume this is why karmgord is NOT suggesting anyone else removes their case.

mattyc_92 20:50 07 Jun 2006

"I presume this is why karmgord is NOT suggesting anyone else removes their case."

And for obvious safety reasons and static attacking componants ;-)

Gongoozler 21:00 07 Jun 2006

To keep a watch on the vital temperatures, I recommend MBM5 click here, this can display the temperatures on the notification area of the taskbar.

The Spires 21:47 07 Jun 2006

If your Pc has overheated today perhaps your cooling system needs looking at, it's not exactly a heatwave at 24c.

Strawballs 00:21 08 Jun 2006

2 or 3 times a year I give my desk tops a clean out if you have never done this you will be amazed how much dust gets in the heatsink and between the cards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache