First blank screen..... now no power!

SDJ 14:08 07 Sep 2003

My bothers computer (Iwill MB, Celeron 400, 128mb sdram, voodoo3, 20gb HDD Win ME) started having problems the other day whereby there was no picture, I am told there was HDD activity as it was continuously spinning. Now however there is nothing. The thing wont even switch on.

Are we talking about a failed PSU or could it be something more serious like the MB?

Unfortunately I dont have a spare PSU which I could install to test.

Any suggestions would be most gratefully recieved.
Cheers

Quiller. 14:23 07 Sep 2003

Things you can check are;

Is the graphics card seated fully in the slot, is it a pci or agp? They can ease out if there is a bit of vibration.

Re-seat the ram in it's slot or slots.

Check all the electrical connectors to the H\D and C\droms.

Check the psu connector to the motherboard.

Check the fuse in the mains lead, the one feeding the computer.

Take the sides of the case and switch on. Does the psu fan spin up or move just a little? If it moves just a fraction and stops. It may well be the psu.

SDJ 14:29 07 Sep 2003

Ive had this trouble before, some time ago though where the machine wouldnt power up and you would have to leave it for about an hour before it would work.
Im wondering if the graphics card thing was just something else to put me off.
The power lead is fine as it powers the speakers also.

I will try the ram and other electrical connectors, although there is absolutley no power going through at all when I hit the power button.

Thanks bsod, I will try all of those and let you know how it goes.

handy4x 14:31 07 Sep 2003

first check the simple things ie has it blown the fuse in the plug to the psu if it has its proberbly the psu change the fuse and if it blows you know its the psu the original problem could be any thing start with the graphics card or the moniter may be at fault (check fuse again )

SDJ 14:37 07 Sep 2003

I do know its not the fuse in the PSU cable as I have swapped this around.

Now the machine should power up even if no monitor is attached and an error beep if the graphics card is faulty?
But I get no power at all, in fact the on-board led doesnt even come on when the machine is connected to power.

Quiller. 15:07 07 Sep 2003

This can be where a spare computer can be a boon.

Is your brothers machine an ATX format case and motherboard? If it is and so is yours. Remove the PSU from your machine , usually 4 screws and attach the connectors to your brothers board. There should be no need to remove his psu from his machine, just unplug the mother board connection and the hard drive power lead. Then plug yours into his motherboard and hard drive.

If it boots first time, you, or he, needs a new psu.

SDJ 15:32 07 Sep 2003

I had thought of that one but couldnt really be bothered to un-hook my computer and take it around to his etc etc.
I have just acquired a loaned psu though so I will give that a go.

Just walked into PCW to get some photo paper and damn what on earth have Packard Bell gone and done trying to make their machines look like imacs?
No offence to all those PB owners but that takes the michael!

SDJ 21:52 07 Sep 2003

Right, as I said before I had acquired a new PSU before going to look t this computer and yes on arrival it was dead.

Took the case side off, checked the power lead once again and what do you know the darn thing powered up!
Anyway, to be sure I removed all cards from the MB and re seated them all. The thing worked no probs.
But decided to fit the new PSU anyway as my hoover is quieter than the one in there.

Now you cant tell that the machine is one as it is whisper quiet.

Thanks all for your comments, much appreciated!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?