Firewire and usb 2 device

  Ivor_Monkey 19:34 21 Sep 2004

I've stupidly just bought a usb 2 HDD housing only to discover that the computer only has usb1 and firewire ports.

Is it possible to buy something like an adaptor to convert the firewire port to take an usb 2 and give me hi-speeds?

Alternatively I need to exchange device for one that provides usb2 and firewire.


  cdb 20:02 21 Sep 2004

Upgrade the pc to usb 2 with a pci card if you have space for it. I did that a couple of months back on my 2.5yr old evesham pc and all seems well.

  Ivor_Monkey 08:41 22 Sep 2004


Does anyone know if a cheap and simple adaptor is possible?

  JonnyTub 09:02 22 Sep 2004

why not get a combo card with both on click here

  JonnyTub 09:05 22 Sep 2004

that link didn't quite work but a firewire and usb 2 card is about £15 + delivery so about £19 all in and it simply slots into a spare pci slot.

Type firewire and usb combo card into the search bar on ebuyer and it'll take you there

  Ivor_Monkey 22:24 24 Sep 2004

Thanks I exchanged the item that had a usb2 +firewire fitting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires