Firewire or USB 2.0 Cable?

Blitzer 18:53 16 Sep 2004

I'm thinking of puchasing an EPSON Stylus Photo R800 printer that has both Firewire and USB 2.0 as a means of connecting it to the PC. Is there any preference when it comes to printers as to what is the better option? I would assume Firewire would allow for a faster data transfer between PC and printer, although I'd also assume this is not a great issue given general print speeds? Both ports are available on my PC.

Thanks in advance for any help.

stalion 19:01 16 Sep 2004

your choice, you have answered your own question
usb would be sufficient, firewire is a lot faster,but speed of printing is governed by your printer

deggsymann 19:32 16 Sep 2004

I work for a commercial printer and some of our files are huge ( one book recently was 29 GIG!!! in total).

Unless you are sending massive files to your printer you should hardly notice a difference if you use the usb cable.

And as stalion says, it is the actual printing of the pages which usually takes the time, not the data transfer, and that is down to the printer.

Blitzer 12:15 18 Sep 2004

Is there going to be or likely to be any benefit of using Firewire or USB 2.0 when it comes to system resources though? I'm guessing there would be little difference, but then TBH I really know little about Firewire other than it offers faster data transfer and I believe it was orginally intended for connecting video equipment?

Thanks again. :)

stalion 12:29 18 Sep 2004

you can install both on your computer it depends what applications you want to run in the future.
Firewire would be useful for video transfer etc but usb 2.0 is sufficient for your printer.
A firewire card usually gives you two connections
With usb you can get a hub to increase the connections to four or more.Regards

Muckle 12:31 18 Sep 2004

I thought USB 2 is faster than Firewire?

stalion 12:32 18 Sep 2004

no comparison firewire is a lot faster.

stalion 12:35 18 Sep 2004

info here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?