Firewire connector

kimtrnc 12:03 25 Nov 2007

My JVC camcorder miniDv needs a firewire to connect to.I have the cable, but no firewire port on my laptop.
Can I a) obtain a cable which will convert firewire to USB port, or B) obtain an external Firewire hub which will connect to USB?
Thanks
Kim

Demora 12:17 25 Nov 2007

There are firewire PCMCIA cards with 2 ports for Firewire or there is a pci card (depending on how old the Laptop is) for firewire. click here maybe not the cheapest place but not as confusing as some sites

D

kimtrnc 15:13 25 Nov 2007

Thanks Demora - my laptop is brand new, but spec says PC card Type II - is that the same as PCMCIA, please? I looked at the site you advised, and a couple of others and I am still not sure which type I should be buying. Er, normally quite bright, but never had a laptop before ...duhhhhh
Kim

kimtrnc 15:14 25 Nov 2007

Thanks Demora - my laptop is brand new, but spec says PC card Type II - is that the same as PCMCIA, please? I looked at the site you advised, and a couple of others and I am still not sure which type I should be buying. Er, normally quite bright, but never had a laptop before ...duhhhhh
Kim

Demora 15:31 25 Nov 2007

I think this is what you need then.

The browser was unable to promote itself to master browser. The browser will continue to attempt to promote itself to the master browser, but will no longer log any events in the event log in Event Viewer.

When I have the spare funds I shall get one.

D

DieSse 15:31 25 Nov 2007

PC Card is the current name for "PCMCIA" cards.

click here

However even some suppliers don't seem to understand :-(

This is the link to the Novatech card (I hope)

click here

Demora 15:36 25 Nov 2007

I think this is what you need then

click here

When I have the spare funds I shall get one.

D

DieSse 15:40 25 Nov 2007

Express cards are not PC Card TypeII cards - be careful what you get.

Demora 15:41 25 Nov 2007

Brand new laptops have a card thats like a PCMCIA card but they are calling them PCI Express cards. I have a new laptop and it will only take the new cards.

Its very confusing. BUT I tried to put my PCMCIA firewire card which I got for the old laptop and guess what. It doesn't fit or work.

D

DieSse 16:26 25 Nov 2007

PCMCIA is the name of the Industry Association.

That's why the cards themselves are now called

PC Cards (with a type number to show their thickness)

and

PC Express cards

to differentiate the new types from the old types. (and they are quite different and non-compatible.)

Suppliers who use the term PCMCIA Card are just confusing people and they really shouldn't.

Why I'm possibly being a tad pedantic, is that kimtrnc says it's a PC Card slot, and you gave a link to a PC Express product.

Demora 16:27 25 Nov 2007

OK exact terminology from my laptop Manufacturer on there website is '1 x Express Card Slot (34/54)'

Ordinary PCMCIA cards have a different fitting even though they are about the same size.

D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017