Firewire Connection

Dirk Diggler 19:34 05 Jul 2004

Okay, heres the deal! I am looking to get into the wonderful world of digital camcorders (holiday coming up) and I want to be able to do all the editing and stuff on the PC. I have found out that I will need a firewire connection / socket! Question is, how do I find out if I have one as I dont know what to look for? Daft as it may seem I know! Also, if I havent got one, how easy / cheap is it to get one? All help appreciated! Thanks

bremner 19:38 05 Jul 2004

In Device Manager look under Network Adapters and see if there is an entry for an 1394 Net Adapter if there is you've got firewire.

On a desktop it will be a rectangular connection with one end rounded aboot 1cm in length.

Diodorus Siculus 19:41 05 Jul 2004

click here for a look!

Also have a look at device manager - it will tell you. They come in two sizes - 4 and 6 pin but I don't know any more...

Diodorus Siculus 19:41 05 Jul 2004
  ed-o 20:09 05 Jul 2004

Most firewire connections on the rear of the pc will be 6 pin. Most firewire connections on digital cameras are 4 pin.

In the unlikely event that you have a firewire port already on your motherboard you will need one of these. click here

They come with a simple to install pci card. The 6pin to 4pin cable to connect to the camcorder and a basic software package to get you editing straight away.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?