firewire card setup problem

elgar 19:45 17 Jun 2004

I am running win xp pro and have just added a firewire PCI card. Add new hardware wizard fails with error message "driver not intended for this platform". All the guff on the box says its for XP - what does this mean?

Manufacturer (Belkin) does not supply a driver as its supposed to come from XP automatically.

Sitting sadly looking at my new firewire DVD writer... Help

Totally-braindead 19:51 17 Jun 2004

Were there any instructions with the Belkin card?

Fruit Bat 19:56 17 Jun 2004

click here=

Is your card shown here on the Belkin site then you can download the drivers.

/\0/\

elgar 20:07 17 Jun 2004

Totally-braindead

They guide you through the physical installation and then say Windows will do the rest!

Fruitbat
This was my first port of call, they only give a manual but no drivers.

Fruit Bat 20:37 17 Jun 2004

click here try here

Totally-braindead 20:50 17 Jun 2004

If you go to Control Panel then System and click on Hardware then Device Manager you should be able to see your firewire card listed, it'll have a yellow exclamation mark on it. Try double clicking on it and reinstalling the drivers and see what it does.

phredd 21:21 17 Jun 2004

This may not be in any way relevant but I had difficulty when installing my Belkin networking system. It turned out that I had not realised I had to disable my firewall before the device would install correctly. Might be worth a try!!!

elgar 23:23 31 Aug 2004

Never found a direct solution but had to reinstall windows and hey presto the Firewire card now works! Don't ask me ???????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone