Firewire card problems

mgmcc 08:24 21 Feb 2006

Are there any issues that relate specifically to installing Firewire cards in a PC? For example, are there particular BIOS or Motherboard requirements before it can be done?

I tried to install a Firewire PCI card for someone in a new PC (XP Pro SP2) and it wouldn't install in either of two PCI slots - Device Manager just displayed "PCI System Controller" with yellow question mark. The same card in my own PC wasn't even recognised in a PCI slot I know to work reliably.

I had the card replaced with a different make and, in my PC, it still isn't recognised.

The person for whom I'm trying to get Firewire working also has a PCMCIA Firewire/USB 2.0 combo card. Plugging it into his Compaq laptop causes it to freeze. Plugging it into my old Toshiba laptop causes it to freeze. Plugging it into my Samsung laptop with XP SP2 does absolutely nothing; it isn't recognised at all.

This whole business seems so bizarre that i have to conclude there is something specific to "Firewire".

jack 08:57 21 Feb 2006

A Fire wire PCI card is simply another type of socket like a USB PCI card may be- therefore the MoBo should in theory be getting data from another source that's all- From what you say, suggests a duff card.

When I rebuilt my machine to 64 bit - all the cards swapped without a murmur.

mgmcc 09:12 21 Feb 2006

That's what I would have thought, but two separate PCI cards and a laptop PCMCIA card all failing to work is just too weird :-(

jack 10:04 21 Feb 2006

There being a 'New' machine in this conundrum makes the puzzle more thought provoking
Had there been older machines in the equation then thoughts about chip set compatibility may have come to mind.. but.... think on chaps.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone