Firewire?

Hetti 12:08 14 Oct 2004

I bought a new PC which is supposed ti have firewire, I have just got it up and running but have not installed any printer/scanners yet, my question is how do I know if PC do's have a firewire installed.

Excuse if a s
question but Im not

GroupFC 12:37 14 Oct 2004

I am not totally sure - but if you go Start>control panel>system>hardware tab and click on device manager - this should bring up a lot of details about your machine.

What you are looking for is something along the lines of "IEEE 1394" (can't remember exactly), which means (I think!) firewire is installed.

What makes you think you haven't got one?

mosfet 12:42 14 Oct 2004

In Device Manager,look for something like IEEE 1394 etc.Or/and the plug on PC much like a phone plug but a bit larger.

GroupFC 12:45 14 Oct 2004

Snap!

mosfet 12:54 14 Oct 2004

I am no typist.

Hetti 14:28 14 Oct 2004

Group FC/Les2

I have nothing in device manager I do not have a connection like the one mentioned, eithier is a firewire nessasary? even if it is not important I was told PC had one.
Can I buy this and install it?

GroupFC 14:44 14 Oct 2004

The only reason I use a firewire connection is to get video from my camcorder to PC for editing (there are probably other uses - external hard drives come to mind - but the experts will have to tell you others!).

My firewire card came in the package with the camcorder and it was just a qustion of opening up the case and adding the card. They are not expensive (for example click here)

One word of caution, if it's a relatively new PC check the position vis-a-vis any warranty before opening the case.

Good luck!

JonnyTub 15:11 14 Oct 2004

"I have nothing in device manager I do not have a connection like the one mentioned, eithier is a firewire nessasary? even if it is not important I was told PC had one. Can I buy this and install it?"

Why should you pay for it when you were told it had one, take it back and demand they put one in free of ALL charges... Grrrr

woodt 15:13 14 Oct 2004

Have a look here for a picture (bottom of page) to see what a firewire socket looks like. they are the two below the USB sockets. Most Pc's will have these at the back but some have them at the front sometimes under a flap. There is a smaller version of the socket as well. The socket that les2 was refering to sounds more like an ethernet socket. What PC do you have?

woodt 15:14 14 Oct 2004

Sorry the link is click here

Belatucadrus 15:46 14 Oct 2004

You could also try Start / Settings / Network Connections / 1394 connection. My firewire is incorporated into the modem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?