Firewall/sever can it be done

josie mayhem 13:50 07 Jan 2004

At the moment I have a load of anti-spam, avg, pop-up stopers ect, having to increase protection to stop several unwanted items ending up on my computer.

I have a old base unit, is it possiable to turn this into a sort of sever come fire wall?

Is it possiable that I can set this up, and put all my anti-virus ect, onto its hard drive, route two computers throught to the net, and use this as my protection.

I have three o.s win98, xp home and xp pro, at the moment I'm on 56k, but have broadband which I need to sort out with my isp, (disagreement over payment).

Is it possable, is it worth it, any suggestion welcome.

I am thinking of up-grading one machine. Oh the base units are two p1 and one p4 (p4 is the one that I'm thinking of up grading. so would have 2 p4 and one p1 to play with?

josie mayhem 19:13 07 Jan 2004

Anybody!!!!!

I know that its not life or death, but you know wha its like, I'm getting a bit bored, and just getting paast christmas means a serious lack of funding, and I just ponder this to give me something to do.

Dave Bowman 19:23 07 Jan 2004

As far as the firewall aspect is concerned you could do no worse that look at the site link below.
It will tell you about using an old PC as a firewall.
Best of all? its free!

click here

josie mayhem 20:04 07 Jan 2004

Thanks,

Looks just what I'm looking for. I have enough to set-up at least this computer, and lan/ethanet cards don't cost that much, so should be able to get the other one on line.

Should keep me going until I build the next machine. ( I haven't yet told hubby that when I ordered my dvd rewriter, that my hand slipped and fell for the digicam that was on special offer!)

jgosden 20:26 07 Jan 2004

green flag this then so we don't waste our time

PLEASE!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?