Firewalls and Networks

EFC1878 11:45 08 Feb 2006

A couple of quick questions to do with Firewalls.

On my Host PC I have Zonealarm and have reduced the internet setting to medium to enable the client pc to connect via the Host. I fI upgrade to Zonealarm Pro would be able to run the higher security setting? Also what other benefits are there from upgrading?

Secondly I intend to protect the Client PC with Zonealarm standard and was wonderign whether I need to reduced the internet setting to medium or whether this can stay on high?

ade.h 16:11 08 Feb 2006

"...what benefits are there from upgrading?"

Very few, and none along the lines of what you are thinking of. You should not have to drop an "internet setting" to use your network. Or to use anything for that matter. If Zonealarm relies on one setting for all, without allowing you to create protocols for various programs, IPs, comm types, etc. then I think you should try a better softeware firewall. I use Kerio (free) and Outpost (paid for) and both of these are highly configurable to the point where the user has total control over everything from program access and launching to LAN permissions.

Do not forget to enable the NAT/SPI firewall in the router; these have a very different bias to software firewalls. S/w firewalls are primarily there for the control of outbound comms and program activity, while a hardware firewall filters certain stateful packets, etc. There is overlap, in that both types control inbound comms in this way, but hardware firewalls do it better. You should rely on your software firewall to do what it's best at.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?