Firewalls on a network...

_plAsma 14:15 25 Aug 2004

Right, i currently use a BT Voyager router with a firewall built in. I would like to buy Kerio's WinRoute firewall and place it on my server. The reason for this is user authenticAtion, bandwith limits for each user, http scanning etc. Basically i would have more control over my networks internet access.

The question i am putting forward to you is - Is it worth it? I have heard from many people software firewalls are _not_ a good choice and to stick with hardware. Any ideas?

Secondly, if i was to use Kerio's WinRoute i am thinking i would have to set it as the gateway and then connect up a USB modem to that PC (WinRoute also acts as a router serving my connection to other pc's on the network). Am i able to simply disable my routers firewall and somehow use WinRoute with the router. I wouldnt mind keeping my router as the modem, 'hub' device, Wireless Access Point and the actuall router. I just want to get rid of the firewall on it and use this software which enables me to have users.

Please guide me to wether i should keep my hARdware, move to the software, which is better, if there is any better software for the job etc

Thanks Very Much,
Mike

_plAsma 16:48 26 Aug 2004

Any Help, Please?

I know this question may be confusing but the main thing i am asking is software firewalls reliable or should i stick with hardware?

Rigga 17:10 26 Aug 2004

Not 100% sure about this, but can't you run both firewalls?

If you point your networked machines at your domain controller as the gateway, then have your DC, re-route the traffic as appropriate, for bandwidth limits etc, out to your router.

Anyway, To answer your main q. SW firewalls are not as good as a good hardware firewall, in basically with a good hardware firewall, to anyone on the outside of your network you just don't exist. If setup correctly obv. I'm sure others will have a view on this....

HTH. R.

_plAsma 17:17 26 Aug 2004

"If you point your networked machines at your domain controller as the gateway, then have your DC, re-route the traffic as appropriate, for bandwidth limits etc, out to your router. "

I guess i could just change the default gateway to the software and then the software uses the router for the internet...i think..

If hardware is the way to go, can anybody recommend a good hardware router and firewall that is wireless? Also perhaps with a removable 'arial' to replace with a better one..

Anyway, thanks for your reply Rigga..

Over and out,
_plAsma

_plAsma 23:01 27 Aug 2004

^bump^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?