Firewalls

nota-clue 03:00 07 Jun 2008

Hi,
I'm new to this and would like some help.
I am using a hp laptop on a wireless network on aol, with a netgear router. My O/S is Vista home basic.
What I would like to know is how do I know my network/pc is secure.
I have installed AVG 8.0 but no firewalls do I need to do this or does windows/aol software already have one.
Also is there any way I can check my pc's security online (safely).

User-1229748 04:06 07 Jun 2008

Windows does come with its own firewall but its not great.I use comodo firewall and AVG 8.I'm new to computers myself and i don't know how to post a link but a site called 'file hippo'will have a selection.Never use two firewalls on the same machine and never use two anti-virus on the same machine.Because you're running vista as i am it narrows your options a bit for free compatible firewalls.You can check if your computers secure by going into control panel and double click on security.If you get all four parts green your on the right track.Others on this forum will be able to advise you far better than i can but you've come to the best forum for quick and good advice.

User-1229748 04:11 07 Jun 2008

Sorry should have said you'll need some anti-spyware aswell,same again if you go to file hippo

Sparkly 07:18 07 Jun 2008

nota-clue i am useing Online Armour which is user frindly but take a look at this earlier thread for more info.

click here

Technotiger 07:49 07 Jun 2008

Never use two Firewalls - is NOT strictly true. I am not familiar with your Router but I expect it includes what is known as a Hardware Firewall, which is a good thing, and it is also recommended that you have One Software Firewall - in your case the Vista Firewall should be sufficient (provided that your Router does include its own firewall). But never have two Software Firewalls - also, never have more than One Anti-virus, the Free AVG8 is very good. Top it all up with a couple of Anti-Spyware/Anti-Malware and Ad-Aware 2008.

Technotiger 07:54 07 Jun 2008

Simply type the URL into this response Box, then when you click on Post Response your link will appear as a 'click here'

If the URL is a long one it is best to use this click here

User-1229748 08:12 07 Jun 2008

thanks technotiger and if AOL have given nota-clue the dg834g router that they were giving out free with their package last year it does indeed have its own firewall.

skidzy 08:39 07 Jun 2008

Test your Firewall with Shieldsup,this will run some tests to see if any open ports are vunerable to attack.click here

nota-clue 20:44 08 Jun 2008

You advise has of a great help.
Thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?