Firewall for Win98

johndrew 12:24 13 Jun 2006

Hello all.

My daughter has been `allowed` to use her friend`s computer which is running Win98 with no protection at all on a dialup connection.

I have provided AVG, Ad-aware, Spybot and A2 as I am pretty certain they are compatible with the OS.

However I am having difficulty finding a firewall which will function with Win98 and am not sure that SpywareBlaster is compatible either. I use Kerio firewall but know this is for 2000 upward.

Can anyone recommend a good free firewall and confirm the status of SpywareBlaster please?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Diodorus Siculus 12:28 13 Jun 2006

I'd not be too concerned about no firewall on dial up but if you really want one, give ZoneAlarm a look.

Zone Labs: Zone Labs, Internet security products, online safety, software, protection
click here

emperor 12:52 13 Jun 2006

I have an earlier version of the Kerio firewall (version 2. something) running on a W95 machine which seems to be fine. I think it can still be found on a number of download sites. I also have SpywareBlaster working on that machine, so it should be ok for W98.

johndrew 14:26 13 Jun 2006

Thanks very much for your responses and advice.

The reason for the firewall is a precaution as I am not certain whether details such as Bank and card details are stored on the subject PC. Having said that I`m not certain how much time it is online.

I think given the age of Kerio v2 (now at v4) it may well be quite hard to find and may even have obsolete features - I`m not saying it wont work. I had not even thought of Zone Alarm, even though it is featured in PCA regularly, but it does seem the easiest choice given that it supports virtually all Windows versions.

The confidence for SpywareBlaster is most welcome.

Many thanks again for your assistance.

sunny staines 14:32 13 Jun 2006

I used Z/A free version on my daughters laptop win 98 [original version]. Z/A messed up. unistalled and renstalled again and it trashed w98. had to reinstall w98, now no Z/A.

johndrew 14:43 13 Jun 2006

Ouch!!!! Could I be back at square 1?

beeuuem 14:48 13 Jun 2006

You could also try Oupost free from click here

I used it for years before buying the Pro version.

Belatucadrus 15:22 13 Jun 2006

click here R-firewall is W98 compatible

GRFT 15:32 13 Jun 2006

My 98SE dialup had ZoneAlarm installed for years with no problems.

Belatucadrus 15:42 13 Jun 2006

click here Kerio version 2 is also W98 suitable.

johndrew 16:06 13 Jun 2006

Thanks very much everyone. I shall pass these on especially my favourite (because I use v4) Kerio.

If I need more ideas I`ll re-post.

Many thanks to you all again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?