Firewall.. unistall ZA and install new system

fullyfitted 21:54 30 Aug 2009

After reading about the various problems members met with Zone alarm I decided some time ago not to update to the latest version.
However my version of ZA is now so far out of date I’ve decided to dump ZA and try something like Comodo or PC Tools Firewall Plus. Reading the search files on ZA this seems to raise another set of problems and it appears that the best way to get rid is to do it safe mode and use the ZA installation tool.
Any one got any other advice or suggestions? (I’m a complete novice I don’t want to go into the registry)
Assuming I get rid of ZA and have down loaded my new system ready for installation what sequence do I need to follow, i.e. is it safe to run for a short period without a firewall or can I use Windows firewall as a temporary measure?

Running XP home edition

Any advice would be welcome

Thanks

FF

Sea Urchin 22:13 30 Aug 2009

Go into the Start menu - Programs - and the ZoneAlarm entry, right click on the uninstaller and select 'Properties'. In the target box add a space and then /clean to the end so it looks like this: C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe /clean then click 'Apply' and 'OK'. Open ZA and turn off the load on boot option (under Preferences), reboot and then run the uninstaller (the one you changed the shortcut for). This will get rid of ZA. Go to the Windows temp folder and delete everything, then find the folder named Internet logs, delete it, then empty your recycle bin. ZA should be gone.

fullyfitted 22:18 30 Aug 2009

Sea Urchin

Many thanks, that looks like something within my range of technical ability, I will report back when I've sorted my other part of query

FF

fullyfitted 19:43 01 Sep 2009

Evening Sea Urchin,
Apologies for not responding sooner but the Bank Holiday and family took priority.
I’m being a bit thick but I need clarification on the last bit of your instructions “find the folder named Internet logs, delete it”. I’ve found the folder in Windows and it contains 12 files, four are ZA text files the rest are Installer, Backup .RBB, fwpk.log and Laptop Lock files.

What do I delete? All of them, the folder or just the ZA files?

Thanks again

FF

fullyfitted 21:07 01 Sep 2009

bump

Sea Urchin 21:40 01 Sep 2009

Everything in that folder originates from ZoneAlarm - so as you no longer have ZA you should delete the folder called Internet Logs. Then empty Recycle Bin.

fullyfitted 22:06 01 Sep 2009

Sea Urchin,
Many thanks for your help. Too late tonight to do anything so will give it a go tomorrow

Cheers
ff

fullyfitted 20:03 02 Sep 2009

Sea Urchin,
Successful un-install of ZA.Followed your instructions and then did a search for ZA, nothing found.
Thanks again for your clear and concise recommendation and your patience

regards

FF

Sea Urchin 20:04 02 Sep 2009

Delighted to hear all went well - thanks for the feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?