firewall turns off on startup on vista

markwedge 08:17 28 May 2008

I've got an acer laptop with windows vista and when i switch it on, the windows firewall isn't switched on so i have to manually switch it on which is fine but i am having to do this each time i turn on the laptop and its driving me mad- how do i make it STAY switched on??

AlexPB 09:11 28 May 2008

Hi,

Do you have any anti virus or internet security software installed on the machine as this can disable the windows firewall for its own?

markwedge 09:24 28 May 2008

yeah there is "ad aware free" avg free (which i have just updated to the full package AVG8.0
could it be this??

chub_tor 09:25 28 May 2008

Trawling Google with this problem gives a number of different reasons as to why Windows Firewall won't stay on. Here is a typical one click here The most common reason if it is not related to Live One Care is that you have some malware that is causing it. Do a good sweep with Spybot, AdAware etc then follow the instructions in the link.

hiwatt 09:53 28 May 2008

If it's the full paid for version of avg 8 you're using this has a built in firewall and will be automatically turning off the windows firewall.You only usually need one firewall.

markwedge 10:43 28 May 2008

yeah its the full version of AVG 8.0 - now ive got that is there no longer any need for Ad Aware shall i delete that as the problem started when i downloaded that and avg free (ive deleted avg free)

hiwatt 12:30 28 May 2008

The full paid for version of avg has a firewall so that will disable your vista firewall.As for adaware you could still use that as an on demand scanner if you wish,that will not affect the firewall atall.When you install any 3rd party firewall(comodo,kerio)or in your case avg with built in firewall it deactivates the windows firewall as it will conflict with it.

hiwatt 12:33 28 May 2008

Just to make sure it's nothing else.Can you disable the firewall in avg and turn windows own firewall back on then reboot and see if it's still turned on?

markwedge 17:42 28 May 2008

how do i disable the firewall on avg 8.0?

markwedge 17:54 28 May 2008

just looked and the version i have is just avg anti virus and doesnt have a firewll on it

markwedge 08:22 29 May 2008

?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?