Firewall test & IP address query

CurlyWhirly 19:15 13 May 2005

click here

After running the firewall test from the above website, I discovered that the test claims "to detect your internal IP address and your external address. Your internal IP should be hidden whereas your external is always exposed."

I always thought that there was only *one* IP address not two!

Technotiger 19:20 13 May 2005

Hi, you may find your answer here -

click here

Cheers.

CurlyWhirly 19:25 13 May 2005

Thanks for the links!
After exploring a few of them I found the answer, cheers!

Below is what I found that BEST explains the difference between the 2 meanings:

"The program has a tool to define computer's internal and external IP addresses. Internal IP address can be used to connect to the computer inside local area network. External IP address is used to connect to the computer from Internet. Usually computer has different external and internal IP addresses, because external IP addresses is established by Internet service provider."

CurlyWhirly 19:29 13 May 2005

Oops. Ticked too soon!
As I am *not* part of a LAN (Local Area Network), just out of curiosity, would I be right in thinking that I am NOT assigned an internal IP address?
So in other words, only PC's who ARE part of a LAN get an internal IP address?

keith-236785 19:30 13 May 2005

i have a router with inbuilt firewall and also have zone alarm pro installed, the link you gave also suggested my system was vunerable.

i would not take the advice of a single prog that is also trying to sell you software to deal with security issues.

click here and browse the free security testing apps from gibson research

if you try a firewall test and your firewall asks you if you want to allow/deny access....choose deny and it should be blocked.

lots of stuff on there if you are concerned about security.

good luck

Technotiger 19:45 13 May 2005

Hi again - I think LAN also applies if you have/use a Ethernet ADSL modem, I have only a single pc but use a Ethernet Modem so I do in fact have a 'LAN' address also, set automatically by the modem setup - though this probably confuses the issue even further :-)))

Cheers.

CurlyWhirly 20:03 13 May 2005

Cheers Technotiger!

paperman27 - I *have* been to the site that you gave in your link and I am not that concerned about security, but was curious as I hadn't heard of an internal IP address before, that's all.
Thanks anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017